+1 for ipython ‹ it was an easy transition from my MATLAB shell
programming (for scientific problems) to ipython and the various and
sundry wonderful part of python overall for scientific programming.  In
fact, I became so used to the ipython console, when I go to the regular
python shell now I miss all the goodies (amazing how used to tab
completion you get used toŠ :D )

Cheers
Christian