On Dec 3, 2013, at 4:18 AM, Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm not going to defend API keys, but not all APIs are open or free.  You
> need to have *some* way to track usage.

A key (haha) thing that keys also provide is an opportunity to have a conversation with the user of your api: who are they, how could you get in touch with them, what are they doing with the API, what would they like to do with the API, what doesn’t work? These questions are difficult to ask if they are just a IP address in your access log.

//Ed