From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Looking for two coders to help with discoverability of videos

> Is it out of the question to extract technical metadata from the
> audiovisual materials themselves (via MediaInfo et al)?

One of the things that absolutely blows my mind is the widespread practice of hand typing this stuff into records. Aside from an obvious opportunity to introduce errors/inconsistencies, many libraries record details for the archival versions rather than the access versions actually provided. So patrons see a description for what they're not getting...

Just for the heck of it, sometime last year I scanned thousands of objects and their descriptions to see how close they were. Like an idiot, I didn't write up what I learned because I was just trying to satisfy my own curiosity. However, the takeaway I got from the exercise was that the embedded info is so much better than the hand keyed stuff that you'd be nuts to consider the latter as authoritative. Curiously, I did find cases where the embedded info was clearly incorrect. I can only guess that was manually edited.

kyle