The MODS schema, like any other schema, defines elements and their
contents (via contentTypes), so a processor could infer that
<modsCollection> is the only element that is not part of any element's
contentType[*]. I'm thinking of creating an XSL stylesheet (or maybe an
XQuery) that finds these elements in a schema. It would find
<modsCollection>, but not <mods>.
The (few) generators that I looked at seem to take an element name to use
as root as a parameter. That makes the generators more flexible and in the
MODS example lets you create a single MODS record without a collection.

Groeten van Ben

[*] within the same schema at least; I could create a schema that has a
<modsCollectionCollection> element that takes <modsCollection> as content.
:)