I've never heard of an entire library site being buried behind an
authentication portal. That's just crazy to me. (If you use universal
authentication, I'm sure it's nice that once students have signed in,
they can access/use all the services, but sometimes people want to look
something up quickly, like hours or just check to see if you have a book.)

At my old university, we were demoted from a top-level link to a
drop-down link (originally under "Student Services" and then moved to
"Research".) That school used two different CMS's for the administrative
sites (CommonSpot) and the academic sites (Typo3). Since I left, they've
united all the sites in Drupal.

At my current institution, the library is listed in a "quick links" drop
down in the top right corner of the homepage, which is pretty visible,
and also on the "Academics and Research" page, which is a top-level link
on the homepage.

Here, every department is responsible for their own website, so we
recently built our site in WordPress (the school uses Drupal.)

While I was severely annoyed at my old job when we got dropped from a
top-level to secondary navigation link, I think it's appropriate to list
the library under either "Academics" or "Research". "Student Services" I
think is less intuitive, as students often think of the library as a
place or a list of resources, and not a service, but that's just my opinion.

I also agree with those that said the library should have it's own
template or CMS. University sites are often driven by admissions, and
focus on visual and multimedia content (how many university sites
feature a giant carousel of campus shots? Ugh.) The library, on the
other hand, should be able to focus on resources, and while displaying
images from digital collections can be nice, using up that much prime
real estate for something with so little function is usually not the
best practice (often that prime spot is used for some sort of tabbed
search box.)

I've been working with academic library websites for 8 years now, so I
figured I'd just weigh in with my 2 cents ;)

Happy holidays!

~val

Valerie Forrestal
Web Services Librarian/Asst. Professor