The slickest thing about iPython notebooks is the easy of publishing them
on github (or elsewhere), then sharing the results with the notebook viewer
here: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/ This community could easily use this as
an alternative (or compliment) to gist for sharing small chunks of code.
This has the added benefit of sharing the _output_ of said code alongside
the source. Also, that visual environment is a must when learning highly
graph & chart dependent things like matplotlib & even scikit learn.

The iPython notebook also simplifies shelling: just prefix your line with a
bang (!) and system command lines are right there.

I just finished a "Practical Data Science" course for grad school last
night, and we used iPython heavily throughout the course, both as the
platform for the professors lecture notes, and for doing our homework
assignments.

-Corey

--
Corey A Harper