With apologies to Eric & to others from the LiAM project, I feel like I
want to jump in here with a little more context.

Eric, or Aaron, or Anne, please feel free to correct any of what I say
below.

I agree with the points made and concerns raised by both Ross & Mark --
most significantly, that a sustainable infrastructure for linked archival
metadata is not going to come from an XSLT stylesheet. However, I also see
tremendous value in what Eric is putting together here.

The prospectus for the LiAM project, which is the context for Eric's
questions, is about developing guiding principles and educational tools for
the archival community to better understand, prepare for, and contribute to
the kind of infrastructure both Ross & Mark are talking about:
http://sites.tufts.edu/liam/deliverables/prospectus-for-linked-archival-metadata-a-guidebook/

While I agree that converting legacy data in EAD & MARC formats to RDF is
not the approach this work will take in the future, I also believe that
these are formats that the archival community is very familiar with, and
XSLT is a tool that many archivists work with regularly. A workflow for
that community to experiment is a laudable goal.

In short, I think we need approaches that illustrate the potential of
linked data in archives, to highlight some of the shortcomings in our
current metadata management frameworks, to help archivists be in a position
to get their metadata ready for what Mark is describing in the context of
ArchivesSpace (e.g. please use id attributes in c tags!!), and to have a
more complete picture of why doing so is of some value.

Sorry for the long message, and I hope that the context is helpful.

Regards,
-Corey

--
Corey A Harper