Hi Kelley - I conducted that usability test on Scherzo and wrote that
report so I can answer your questions!  I think a work-focused approach can
work for users, but we had to scale back on what we assumed users would
understand on the search results page.  After this test of the system, we
changed the search results interface to identify within the works list how
many scores and recordings contained that work, so the works list looked
more like a facet.  The works list then wasn't just a list of titles, but
was tied more directly to the recordings/scores result list (which is
directly below the works list on the search results page).

I do think that some of the testing results we saw reflected how users are
used to searching for music in traditional catalogs.  While the work is a
key concept for musicians, they may have gotten used to the fact that
searching for or scanning a results list for a work title often isn't easy
(or even possible) in a library catalog so either the title of the album or
a person's name is the real key to finding stuff.  I think that also might
have been part of what threw people off seeing the works listed in the
search results.  They didn't believe they were seeing titles of songs -
they thought they were seeing titles of albums or something that was some
sort of physical item.  They weren't really sure what it was and so they
just skipped that list of things.  So adding the info that, for example, a
work title is found on 5 recordings/scores really helped to identify the
works list as such.

Music is kind of unique within FRBR since several works can be involved in
a single manifestation (recording or score) and a single work can have many
different expressions (different performances by different people of the
same work).  Other types of resources like books and movies don't often
line up with the FRBR model the same way.  I can't say for sure whether or
not the interface we arrived at after this testing (
http://vfrbr.info/scherzo/) could be used for other work-based resources
with a works list serving as a facet to narrow down results, but it seems
to be a good use of the FRBR model.

Here's an example of a search that I think brings out the strength of what
this type of works list can do.  Searching in Scherzo for something like
"symphony no. 5" as Keyword results in several works with that same (or
similar) title and lots of recordings and scores that contain expressions
of all of the different "symphony no. 5" works.  The facet nature of
showing how many recordings/scores contain that work can help to
distinguish which work is the symphony no. 5 you actually want and helps
identify that works list as a list of "symphony no. 5" works by different
composers.

I hope this is helpful - it was an interesting project to test these
FRBRized search concepts and it would be great to see further experiments
with this idea, specifically with non-music resources to see if it can be
applied or not.  Let me know if you have any more questions about what we
did with the Scherzo interface and best of luck on your project!

Julie Hardesty
Metadata Analyst
Metadata Resources & Systems
Library Technologies