Back in 1999-2002 a handful of our theses were submitted  as a collection of xml files.  We posted the files in our repository several years ago (we posted a zipped folder with all the files).  At that time, if you opened front.xml you would be able to access the thesis. We have not touched the files in the close to 5 years since we posted them, but the files no longer open correctly. One of the problem theses is http://ir.uiowa.edu/etd/189/.

Front.xml begins
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml:stylesheet type="text/css" href="UIowa2K1.css" ?>
<!DOCTYPE thesis SYSTEM "UIowa2K.dtd">

I have tried the following changes but they do not help

1)      Adding standalone="no"? to the xml declaration  -- <?xml version="1.0" " encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

2)      Changing the case of "UIowa2K1.css" and "UIowa2K.dtd" to match the files (which are in all caps)

3)      Changing xml:stylesheet to xml-stylesheet

Chrome shows errors that entities are not defined, but they are defined in the dtd.

I would appreciate any assistance in making these documents available again. Thanks!

Wendy Robertson
Digital Scholarship Librarian *  The University of Iowa Libraries
1015 Main Library  *  Iowa City, Iowa 52242
[log in to unmask] * 319-335-5821