This is my inclination. However, if the algorithm doesn't incorporate
values from the tables used to synthesize Dewey numbers, identifying the
stems of numbers may be tricky. It might be worth calling up someone at a
major Dewey library like UIUC or Northwestern to see if they might be
willing to provide data to add to what you get from LC.

kyle