Many good ideas in this thread.

One thing I'd just like to throw out there is that there are some ideas
that may be good to distribute in the form of virtual machines and this
might be one of them.

Proxying is needed by practically all libraries and takes little in terms
of systems resources. But many libraries with limited IT resources would
have trouble implementing alternatives to ezproxy -- especially if they
have to use authentication features not supported by Apache HTTPD. Even for
those who do have enough staff time, it seems kind of nuts to have everyone
spending time solving the same problems.

kyle