Not only that, but it's also expressly designed for the purpose of reverse
proxying subscription databases in a library environment.  There are tons
of things vendors do that would be incredibly frustrating to get working
properly in Squid, nginx, or Apache that have already been solved by
EZProxy.  Which is self-fulfilling: vendors then cater to what EZProxy does
(rather than improving access to their resources).

Art Rhyno used to say that the major thing that was inhibiting the
widespread adoption of Shibboleth was how simple and cheap EZProxy was.  I
think there is a lot of truth to that.

-Ross.