I'd have to agree. OAI-PMH is so simple that even as poor a programmer as I
am was able to write my own data provider from scratch. Actually, not
completely from scratch in one go. Basically I was able to tweak my
existing database-driven web site to accept incoming verbs and parameters
and respond appropriately. Since I already had paging implemented
resumption tokens were easy.

But writing an aggregator from scratch is even easier, since you only need
to support the functions you actually need -- not the entire six verbs as
you must on the data provider side. Just the fact that Kyle can provide
pretty much everything you need except the record parsing bit in a simple
email message is proof enough.
Roy