I don't think I can answer your question but I we have a similar problem.

I'm not sure about all OCR programs, but the version of Tesseract I've seen
in Islandora creates two files, one is the .txt file you would expect and
the other is an hOCR file with very interesting mark up linking words in
the transcript to coordinates on their associated jpg or tiff.   For
manuscript materials, we have human-generated transcripts that can be
swapped in Islandora with the machine generated OCR, but there's no way to
easily map the words onto the image since editing the hOCR by hand is only
useful if you have a really good sense of where the coordinates fit on your
image.

There are programs out there to get better coordinates for human generated
transcripts and http://www.shared-canvas.org/ seems to be one of the better
tools available for that purpose, but I haven't found DM, T-PEN, Scripto,
etc. easy to integrate across really large collections.  But that kind of
transcription program lets users match words to their locations on pages.
The most rational public transcription programs out there, IMO, is the DIY
History site at the University of Iowa (http://diyhistory.lib.uiowa.edu/),
but I don't see how those transcripts can get mapped onto images.

There are some uiowa.edu people on this listserv.  I'm curious to know how
they make their images and transcripts speak to each other.