Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking such an interest!

Regarding your questions and concerns:

'slash' vs. 'hash' URIs:
As a matter of design, we coin URIs for retrieval of information about the
resource identified by the URI by machines, not humans. The most current
formal rules[1] state that retrieving a 'slash' fragment should return just
that fragment when resolved. We're currently breaking that rule by always
returning the entire vocabulary, as if it was indeed using hash URIs and
will fix it in the next few weeks. An example of such a fragment (generated
by the Open Metadata Registry for
http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/w/P10001)
is here:
http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/15304.rdf

We believe, as a matter of good design, that URIs coined for large
vocabularies should minimize retrieval bandwidth, particularly since it's
highly unlikely that the entire vocabulary will (or should) be retrieved
when the properties are used individually as part of an application
profile. The entire vocabulary can always be acquired by requesting it from
the vocabulary's namespace URI:
http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/w/

Lexical (readable, but not semantic) URIs:
One of the most common misuses of vocabularies is the misunderstanding of
the semantics of the property identified by the URI based on the user's
personal, colloquial, or domain-specific interpretation of the semantics of
the URI (dc:title is the one I've seem misused most often). So we believe
that good vocabulary design _should_ obscure the semantics requiring that
the actual vocabulary documentation be viewed by a human.

The other problem is that the 'semantics' are most often broadly identified
with the lexical label used in the URI. Vocabularies, no matter how stable
semantically, _will_ evolve and that evolution often results in a change to
the label(s), even if the semantics communicated by the URI don't change.

And then there's the issue of spelling (British English vs. American
English) and language. Should we assume that the entire world must use, and
_understand_ English in order to effectively use a vocabulary? We don't
think so.

To at least partially address this we have coined multiple URIs for each
property, as explained here:
http://www.rdaregistry.info/Elements/e/
"All RDA URIs have both an immutable canonical form and a 'readable',
lexical form, which is subject to change (changes will be redirected)." The
lexical URIs follow the naming convention you identified and are largely
based on the current English (British) label.

mime types correctly. Again we'll fix that very shortly.

Jon Phipps
Metadata Management Associates
Open Metadata Registry

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/