Director Digital Experience
New York Public Library
New York City

The Mission of the New York Public Library is to Inspire Life­Long Learning,
Advance Knowledge and Strengthen Communities. An integral part of this mission
requires us to go beyond our

historical focus on providing access to the vast resources of the New York
Public Library and to deepen and broaden our commitment to enabling reading,
learning, and the creation of new

knowledge in a bimodal world (physical and digital). The
Director Digital Experience plays a leading role in making this a reality.

Responsibilities:

Reporting to the Chief Library Officer of The New York Public Library, the
Director, Digital Experience leads the experimentation, incubation,
implementation and portfolio management of the digital user experience. The
roles purpose is to build and deliver a set of inspiring
service offerings to every single user whether they act alone or in
collaboration with others.This role partners with internal
and external stakeholders to identify, design, incubate and ensure delivery of
anexcellent user experience across all our digital
properties to foster reading,

learning and creativity.

This position is part of a senior management team responsible for NYPL's
program strategy and exceptional standard of service throughout our physical
and digital environment.

As part of our service offering, the qualified candidate will have direct
oversight of the NYPL innovation program (includes NYPL Labs), the vision and
direction of our digital user experience,

new digital product and service incubation and implementation, and digital
portfolio management.

Specific Responsibilities include;

  * Accountable to the User Experience Leadership team for delivery of the digital strategy that inspires our users to consult and use the resources of the New York Public Library tofulfill their personal goals and aspirations
  * Partners with the CLO, the VP of Public Services and the Andrew W. Mellon director in designing inspiring user experiences for today and in anticipation of new needs
  * Partners with Strategy in the design and effective use of user analytics and research in decision­ making,
  * Partners with the Chief Technology Officer on technology strategy and product development
  * Accountable for ease of use throughout the Library's digital properties, including building strong digital partner experiences
  * Under the direction of the CLO and in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon director, the VP of Public Services, the VP of Marketing and Communications, and the VP of Finance and Strategic Initiatives, leads the planning and implementation of NYPL's digital strategy
  * In conjunction with other stakeholders, actively looks for and drives changes in the digital portfolio that creates pathways to help our patrons use our collections and expertise to advance knowledge, create and learn
  * Involved in hiring, developing and retaining digital expertise
  * Accountable for developing and overseeing the Digital Initiatives and Services budget
  * In collaboration with the CLO represents the digital strategy with internal and external stakeholders
Key Competencies:

  * User experience focus
  * Analytical thinking
  * Skilled communicator
  * A track record of successful collaboration and team building across and within organizations
  * Strong ability to manage through change
Qualifications:

  * A minimum of ten years leading teams in the design, implementation, and oversight of digital user experiences - preferably in education or higher education, publishing, digital humanities or libraries
  * Bachelors Degree in information science or other related field required, Masters Degree preferred
  * Extensive experience in innovative endeavors as well as stewarding products from incubation to production
  * Demonstrated track record of developing and using data and user­based research to deliver exceptional service
  * Excellent internal and external communicator
  * Excellent understanding of current day and emerging technologies (including but not limited to reading, learning, information discovery, collaboration, and digital asset management)
  * Demonstrated history of collaboration across business units to bring about large­scale organizational change

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11760/