UI Lead
bepress
Berkeley

**About us**

The mission of bepress (www.bepress.com) is to help scholars maximize the
impact of their work. Our flagship product, Digital
Commons, is the world's leading digital repository and online publishing
platform for academic institutions. We
support over 300 academic libraries and thousands of individual scholars and
researchers in their efforts to showcase and share their
work. Bepress has been accelerating the pace of scholarly
exchange since 1999 through providing solutions to support open-access
publishing.

**About the role**

This is an opportunity to re-envision a product as we implement our next
generation open, service-oriented architecture. You will assume a hands-on
leadership role as we build our future while continuing to provide value to
our subscribers. We are looking for a senior level designer or developer with
both technical and leadership skills: someone who has the conviction of a web
standards evangelist and the backbone to play ball with our programmers.

Are you obsessed with web standards, accessibility, typography, and grids? Can
you translate your elegant designs into compliant and semantic HTML? Can you
deploy CSS architectures across products and domains? Can you run quality
assurance on the output from both our programmers and our non-technical
staff? If so, we want to talk to you. Bonus points if you
have experience designing for mobile first and know your way around
javascript.

Please show us your work! You can include a link to your portfolio or send a
PDF.

This is a full time, on-site position.

Responsibilities

• Oversee, lead and guide a team of front-end engineers through agile software
development lifecycles

• Mentor and motivate team members towards success

• Act as gatekeeper of all front-end code.

• Define the information architecture of new products.

• Drive the best practices for design and user experience for all products.

• Collaborate with product management, engineers, and other stakeholders to
both align and execute on company and customer goals.

• Maintain current knowledge of all relevant UI technology and web design
trends.

Position Requirements

• 5+ years in a software development organization in a design or web developer
role.

• Team leadership or management experience

• Knowledge of web standards and accessibility.

• Expert knowledge of front-end technologies; HTML5, CSS3, Bootstrap, LESS.

• Strong knowledge of visual design principles.

• Knowledge of Adobe Creative suite and/or wire-framing software such as Axure
or Balsamiq.

• Working knowledge of JavaScript frameworks (JQuery, YUI).

• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.

• Previous experience with the following a plus:

Django, Template Toolkit, a CMS such as Wordpress or Drupal, working in an
agile environment, Scrum.

You are

• Creative.

• Bright, quick and a structured thinker.

• A natural collaborator with strong interpersonal skills.

• Positive with a good sense of humor.

• Driven and direct.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12000/