UNC has been doing this (linking) for several years and we recently
borrowed (sincerest form of flattery) Duke's interface work to add
thumbnails and inline views.  We've got content for over 500 collections
and well over half a million scans and growing.

UNC and Duke are working on a full day pre-conf for the annual meeting
this March in Raleigh:

http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/2014_preconference_proposals#Archival_di
scovery_and_use

We're looking for topics as well as speakers!

Feel free to contact me directly if you're interested in helping to shape
the day.

Tim