Just out of curiosity, does it work for a little bit then stop working? I know arXiv throttle crawlers, and am not sure if they throttle oai-pmh clients. Simeon Warner who helps run arXiv has been know to post code4lib, so maybe this will cross his radar.

In the meantime, could you share your harvesting script on gist.github.com or somewhere similar for us to take a look?

//Ed