This doesn't answer your question, but in  Unglue.it 2.0, we're putting digital "bookplates" into the ebook files themselves.

The (python) software we're using to do it is on github with an MIT license. Project started by an italian developer with significant improvements by me.
https://github.com/Gluejar/pyepub

Eric

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar.Inc.