I'm surprised the Online Archive of California hasn't come up yet:

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/

See, for example:

<http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf4z09p0qg/?query=portraits>

They have been doing this for quite some time, and I would consider it a
"reference" implementation of this kind of thing.
Roy