From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Matt Connolly
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Screencasting Usability Studies

We use this approach as well here at Cornell. Our usability group has
tried a variety of techniques, including using Morae and writing detailed
reports for clients, but having clients observe live from a remote
location seems to engage them more. It's become a popular means of
testing. One note, though: this method gets called "discount" usability
testing, but we found that label to be very inaccurate! We call it "raw"
usability instead, which I think better describes the unprocessed flow of
information from tester to client.

By the way, we also use Macs for most of our testing, and I don't think
that it's led to inordinate amounts of confusion. I would recommend
running tests in Firefox or Chrome, though, and not Safari. And on a
laptop, definitely plug in a mouse so that testers don't have to rely on
the trackpad!

- Matt

--------
Matt Connolly
Application Developer, CUL-IT
Cornell University Library
218 Olin Library | Ithaca, NY  14853
(607) 256-4209

On Feb 28, 2014, at 6:06 AM, Nadaleen F Tempelman-Kluit <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Ronan-
> That's exactly what we do here at NYU Libraries and it works really
well.
> We have observers in another room taking notes in real time as the
> tests are in progress in another part of the library, using GoToMeeting.
> Let me know if you want more details.
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Ronan McHugh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Steve Krug recommends GoToMeeting in his book (Rocket Surgery Made
Easy).
>> They've got a 30 day free trial so we're going to try it out next
>> week on some of our colleagues to see if it's worth the price.
>> Basically what we want is the ability to capture the screen and sound
>> and to play this live for the developers in another room, so that we
>> can all observe together. I looked at Silverback, but I think getting
>> users to do a usability test on an unfamiliar device (i.e. a Mac) can
only lead to problems and confusion.