David,

I've played around with OPDS with some personal projects. It's built into
the excellent consumer eBook catalog software Calibre, and there's a
project called Calibre2ODPS i fiddled with to generate the HTML for my
BookBox project back in 2011.
http://brettlwilliams.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/the-bookbox-a-localized-portable-ebook-delivery-system-using-open-source-components/

There is a fair amount of support out there on the consumer end, like the
Marvin ebook reader on IOS, FBreader on Android, etc.

I think it fits more with integrated models where you distribute a reader
application with the catalog baked in. Like RSS feeds, it's a little
difficult to get the concept across to academics sometimes (or maybe it's
just my academics :) ).

Here's a list of public ODPS feeds http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/OPDS

I think Project Gutenberg and a few others have ODPS feeds. It's talked
about (in the context of Calibre) a fair amount on the MobileRead forums.