At Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:13:58 -0900,
Coral Sheldon-Hess wrote:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I've gotten clearance to totally rewrite my library's website in the
> framework/CMS of my choice (pretty much :)). As I have said on numerous
> occasions, "If I can get paid to write Python, I want to do that!" So,
> after some discussion with my department head/sysadmin, we're leaning
> toward Django.

Hi Coral,

My two cents:

I think of Django as a CMS construction kit. (Keep in mind that it was
originally developed for the newspaper business.) It’s probably more
complicated to set up than drupal, or a CMS built with Django, but I
would guess that the time you save with the CMS will be more than made
up for later on, when you want to make it do something it wasn’t
intended to.

With its out of the box admin interface and an HTML editor, you have
something that admins can use to generate content with hardly any work
on your part.

Basically - and this is my personal opinion, with only somewhat
limited CMS experience - the CMS experiment has failed. The dream of
something that is “customized”, not programmed, has never succeeded
and never will.

Django allow you to put together a “CMS” that fits your *exact* needs,
with a little more up-front work, rather than something that requires
less up-front work, but a lot more down the road.

best, Erik

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.