I'd add to the list that EZProxy integration with Shibboleth is fairly
minimal;  for example, it doesn't support chaining attribute
authorities, which is an issue for us.  We opened a ticket several years
requesting that feature, but realistically, I doubt it will ever get added.

If EZProxy were open source, and if  I could make changes to it and push
them back up to codebase, I'd be a lot happier with it.  Given the
market share it already has, I would think that releasing the source
code would be a good marketing decision:  the pool of interested
developers who could implement new features, and help debug problems,
would increase dramatically, and also contribute to making the software
more secure.  Perhaps with OCLC's new EZProxy hosted service, there
would be less of a financial incentive to keep the source closed, and
more of a product development incentive to open it up?

-- Scott

--
Scott Prater
Shared Development Group