On Feb 18, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Owens, Trevor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sorry for not getting back on this sooner. I help project manage Viewshare at LC. At this point, there are a few folks I know of who have set up their own instances of the software to tinker with but for the most part people are just having users sign up to use the instance LC hosts.
>
> With that said, it would be great to get info on the particular issues you ran into so that it can be easier for other folks to work with the platform. Feel free to email me directly and I can connect you with some of the developers or to post an issue on github where they could get back to you. https://github.com/LibraryOfCongress/viewshare/issues

I am interested in the possibility of hosting ViewShare (Recollection) locally.

Many people come to our center here in the library with tab-delimited (Excel) spreadsheets, and then they want to make a website out of the result. ViewShare (Recollection) does this, and from what I’ve seen it does this well. Yes, I suppose I could “outsource” the service to the Library Of Congress, but the archivist/preservationist in me shudders to think how the data is not really owned locally.

In an effort to determine the feasibility of local hosting, I have tried to install it, but to no avail. After a few technical support call thingees, I’ve gotten in touch with the developers, and I will wait for a few more weeks until something is a bit more stable for distribution.

—
Eric Morgan