Hi, I thought I'd hijack this old thread because I've recently run into a
pretty interesting use of iPython notebooks, and I think it's something
that might interest this community, so I'm going to share:

First, the shiny, this book exists:

http://bit.ly/135dHfs

Mining the Social Web: Data Mining Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+,
GitHub, and More

by Matthew A. Russell

The source code from the book is available for free on GitHub:
https://github.com/ptwobrussell/Mining-the-Social-Web-2nd-Edition

According to the back cover copy: "The example code for this unique data
science book is maintained in a public GitHub repository. It’s designed to
be easily accessible through a turnkey virtual machine that facilitates
interactive learning with an easy-to-use collection of IPython Notebooks."

(NOTE: editions matter, the second edition is much more current... if your
institution subscribes to Safari via a vendor, they may only have the
first edition... don't bother, it's obsolete, keep searching).

Play play play, it looks like fun, and it is.

Second: the reason I was looking around for info on mining social
information is, I think someone should write a tool for mining GitHub data
for "interesting work" (i.e. branches on forks of repositories of interest
to the searcher). I'll give this idea a "code name," let's call it
"operation: you gonna eat that?"

Now, I'm not a data scientist. I looked around for tools for exploring
graphs, I even watched a video introduction on Graph Theory. But, this is
not my field. It looks amazingly interesting, and I really do think
there's treasure out there in them hills, but, I am beginning to suspect
this is a pretty big undertaking. It's probably not the kind of thing I
need to spend my nonexistent idle hours pursuing. I need my sleep. :-)

So, anyway, anyone out there in the community have the python and
data-wrangling/visualization chops to take this one on? I think we could
probably end up with a generalized tool for exploring the world of
on-going open source development. There are people out there who have
really interesting ideas for new code, they've very likely put that code
where we can all see it... let's find 'em, and then send them a nice note:
"Hey, buddy, you gonna eat that?" :-)

--
HARDY POTTINGER <[log in to unmask]>
University of Missouri Library Systems