Personally, I would put soldering irons in phase 2, as they really do require training to use. Without a pretty decent skillset, you can burn through a lot of led strips, etc.

My lab consists of a Sparkfun kit hot-glued to the top of a parts box. This arrangement has been very helpful for my chronic mislayer self. It's a makerspace in a box.

Cary

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36809832@N00/12821466713/

Cary