We use this approach as well here at Cornell. Our usability group has tried a variety of techniques, including using Morae and writing detailed reports for clients, but having clients observe live from a remote location seems to engage them more. It's become a popular means of testing. One note, though: this method gets called "discount" usability testing, but we found that label to be very inaccurate! We call it "raw" usability instead, which I think better describes the unprocessed flow of information from tester to client.

By the way, we also use Macs for most of our testing, and I don't think that it's led to inordinate amounts of confusion. I would recommend running tests in Firefox or Chrome, though, and not Safari. And on a laptop, definitely plug in a mouse so that testers don't have to rely on the trackpad!

— Matt

--------
Matt Connolly
Application Developer, CUL-IT