Aha, thinking to google search for "proquest z3950" actually got me some
additional clues!

"Sites that are currently using Z39.50 to search ProQuest are advised to
consider moving to the XML gateway."

in Google snippets for:

http://www.proquest.com/assets/downloads/products/techrequirements_np.pdf

Also "If you are using the previous XML
gateway for access other than with a federated search vendor, please
contact our support center at
www.proquest.com/go/migrate and we can get you the new XML gateway
implementation documentation."

Okay, so now I at least know that something called the "XML Gateway"
exists, and that's what I want info on or ask about!  (Why are our
vendors so reluctant to put info on their services online?)

I am not a huge fan of z3950, and am not ordinarily optimistic about
it's ability to actually do what I need, but I'd use it if it was all
that was available; in this case, it seems like Proquest is recommending
you do NOT use it, but use this mysterious 'XML gateway'.