I have a small anecdote on my experience with Drupal, Django, and custom development.

I was writing a site that required a number of custom content types, some of them fairly complex, and a Solr back-end for full-text and faceted search. I had developed a number of Drupal sites up to that point, but this was probably the most complex one.

I tore my hair out for a month or two, trying to get all of the different Drupal modules to talk to each other, and writing lots of glue code to go between the custom modules using the (sometimes undocumented) hooks for each module.

One day I became so frustrated that I decided that I would give myself 24 hours to re-do the site in Django. If I could get the Django site up to par with the Drupal site in that amount of time, I would move forward with Django. Otherwise, I would keep going with Drupal. Up to that point, I had done the Django tutorial a couple times, and implemented a few test sites, but not much else.

Within 24 hours I had re-implemented the content type models, hooked up the Solr search, worked out a few of the templates, and was well on my way to actually making progress with the site. More than that, I was enjoying the coding rather than staring in frustration at hooks and wondering why something wasn’t getting called when it should be.

Since then I haven’t touched Drupal.

Cheers,
-Andrew