Hi all,

We’ve just released Blacklight 5.0. Blacklight is an open source Ruby on Rails engine that provides a customizable discovery interface for Apache Solr.

Blacklight 5.0 introduces a new Bootstrap 3 based theme, significant improvements to the Blacklight configuration, new features, and general improvements to the gem.

The full release notes discuss the changes in more detail, but here are some highlights:

- Bootstrap 3: Views and helpers have been updated to use Bootstrap 3.x, and align closer to Bootstrap conventions and out-of-the-box components.

- MARC-format specific code has been extracted into a separate gem, with more library-specific enhancements in the works.

- schema.org support: Search results are marked up with schema.org itemscope and itemprop information

Release notes: https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/releases/tag/v5.0.0
Commit history: https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/compare/v4.7.0...master
Documentation: https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/wiki
Demo: http://demo.projectblacklight.org/

—

Thanks to all who contributed code, feedback, bug reports, and feature requests for this release, including:

Chris Beer (Stanford University)
Carolyn Cole (Penn State University)
Chris Colvard (Indiana University)
Justin Coyne (Digital Curation Experts)
Forrest Fowler
Jessie Keck (Stanford University)
Gary Geisler (Stanford University)
Sean Hannan (Johns Hopkins University)
Erik Hatcher (LucidWorks)
Brian Maddy (Digital Curation Experts)
Jonathan Rochkind (Johns Hopkins University)
Jason Ronallo (North Carolina State University)
Adam Wead (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

—

Blacklight is a collaborative open source project by developers at various institutions, which we each work on largely motivated by our own local institutions' needs. We always welcome patch submissions; and we are always excited to hear about what others are doing with Blacklight.

Many Blacklight contributors will be at Code4Lib this year, and there are several opportunities to talk to us:

 - Intro to Blacklight preconference on Monday Morning
 - Blacklight Hackfest on Monday Afternoon
 - and, throughout the conference at the Blacklight table

Thanks,
Chris Beer
Stanford University Libraries
On behalf of the Blacklight committers