Thanks to all for participating in the digital video brainstorming session on Friday afternoon! We had a great introductory discussion involving NDSA members from The Library of Congress, Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, University of South Carolina, CalTech, Duke, WGBH, and UCLA/Audiovisual Archive Network. For many of institutions, video is the last big genre of content that isn't (well) supported in current digital preservation repository and access systems. MOOCs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course), collaborative projects and mass digitization also are areas of special interest.  We discussed how we might best collect and compare data - perhaps through case studies (generalized or specific), formal survey, etc. In the end, we decided that we need to better define the questions we wanted to explore.

Our primary action item was to set up a new page on the wiki  in order to capture questions and topics related to video to help us narrow our scope. We will have another meeting in a few weeks to discuss how we might organize and address the selected topics in a thoughtful way. We will set up a Doodle poll for the next meeting.

All NDSA Standards members are welcome to submit questions/comments on digital video to the wiki page:

Direct link to page on wiki: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Digital_video_exploration&osindsawikipdb_session=e242a4804ce795249cac084b5af027e9

You can also get to the page through the main wiki page: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Standards_and_Best_Practices_Working_Group (scroll down to Digital Video Exploration)

Best wishes - Kate

Kate Murray
Office of Strategic Initiatives
Library of Congress