Hi all,

spreads developer chiming in here :-)

@Cindy:

I'm curious - how does the shooting time per page compare to something like
> a Minolta PS7000? We've got an old PS7000, buit my experience with the one
> I've used before was that it took sooo long to shoot each page.  Also, the
> PS7000 model didn't accommodate a bound volume that wouldn't open flat all
> that well.  Would this be an improvement over that?

With my Canon A2200s I can currently shoot at 1400-1500 pages per hour,
although the bottleneck is probably my lifting the cradle/flipping the
pages.

@Aaron:

It seems like the software piece is a big variable with the DIYBookScanner.
> It's interesting to hear about various setups, I just wonder about the
> long(ish) term viability of some of these open source projects. Obviously,
> the software is essential for an efficient system and I'm not sure we're
> interested in building/maintaining our own suite of tools.

While I can't give any guarantees, I'm very optimistic that I'll continue
development for the foreseeable future.
I'm very passionate about the software and the project (DIYBookScaner) as a
whole and
my list of things I'd like to do in the software should probably suffice
for at least the next two years :-)
And even in the case that I should be hit by a bus, I've tried to make the
code as clear and idiomatic as possible,
so an experienced Python developer should be able to get up to speed pretty
quickly.

Additionally, as Raffaele already mentioned, spreads is very modular, you
can add your own functionality very easily
through the Plugin API.

If you are playing with the thought of using spreads in your institution,
please drop me a message, I would love to hear
about your workflow and what kinds of things you'd like the software to do.

All the best,
Johannes