William,

I just went through IRB in January for the usability studies I'm doing this
semester.  I couldn't think of any reason I would ever want to be able to
the simple route: I don't retain people's names anywhere other than on the
informed consent forms.

When I was doing surveys, each set of answers got assigned a unique ID so
that I could keep track of which answers were from the same person.  That
ID is not associated with the person's name anywhere, and I also haven't
been collecting demographic information.

This might be more simplistic than what you're going for, but it's working
out really well for me.

Emily

Emily Mitchell
Librarian / Webmaster