Tonight's A/V Geeks event will be held two blocks away at Kings Barcade, a
live music venue/bar that was featured in the recent New York Times "36
hours in Raleigh" article.  Local "media archaeologist" Skip Elsheimer, who
maintains a collection of over 22,000 old 16mm educational films, puts on
entertaining, monthly shows focused on selected topics (see
http://www.avgeeks.com/).  This month's event, while open to the public,
has been themed with the Code4Lib crowd in mind and focuses on the early
computer age:

http://kingsbarcade.com/2014/03/26/av-geeks-present-when-computers-where-young/

A few logistical details:

Time: Doors open at 7:30, movies will probably start a little later after
people settle in.  People can generally come and go as they please.  The
show usually involves a few short movies lasting a total 1.5-2 hours.

Location: Kings Barcade about 2 blocks from the Sheraton at 14 W. Martin
St.  To get there turn left (north) out of the Sheraton onto Fayetteville
St., walk north 1.5 blocks and turn left (west) at the Subway.  The
entrance to Kings will be a little more than half way down the block on the
right.  Tell the doorman that you are going upstairs to Kings to hopefully
avoid the $2 membership fee charge that comes with going downstairs to the
Neptunes cocktail bar.

Cost: free, with a $5 suggested donation

Food and drink:  There is a full bar with several local beers on tap, but
no food.  Kings is directly connected by stairs with the Neptunes cocktail
lounge (may need to pay $2 membership fee).  The same owners operate a new
Indian restaurant called Garland directly downstairs from Kings.  Next
door, Capital Club 16 offers great pub grub.

Tickets and sign-up:  Tickets are not necessary but if you think you might
attend we ask that you add your name to the sign up list so that we can
alert event organizers about level of interest:
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/2014_AVGeeks_Signup

If you have questions please contact me at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Steve Morris
Head of Digital Library Initiatives
NCSU Libraries