From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Michael Schofield
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Windows XP EOL

I'm kind of looking forward to exploiting XP EOL. Central IT is 86'ing all
XP machines university-wide, which has the benefit that there will be no
machines at the university using Internet Explorer 8. The EOL for IE8 is a
little ambiguous and will continue to receive "support" from Microsoft,
but for the library the big percentage of IE8 traffic (which all together
is less than 7%) is from university staff.

I'm already hemming and hawing and pulling stats together to see if I can
make a case to drop aesthetic support for Internet Explorer 8 by April
2014, or at least by the end of 2014. Aesthetic, of course, doesn't mean
functional, but it just means that IE8 users get the site as rendered
before any media queries, and I'll pull IE-specific stylesheets and
polyfills unless they're important (like form elements).

Here's hoping the remaining IE8 traffic is low enough to fall below our
threshold :). I'll throw a party.

Michael Schofield
/ ns4lib.com