Hi Matt,

I haven't heard very many folks asking about Research Gate on campus
myself, though I don't often get to directly engage researchers.  That
said, social features don't have to be orthogonal to repository services.
 In fact, we incorporated a bunch of these -- sharing with
Twitter/Facebook/Google+, user profiles, following/unfollowing, activity
streams, and some others -- into our repository service, ScholarSphere.

A major theme for our 2014 development is integration with external
services to situate the repository in an ecosystem of networked services
(and, let's face it, these are all probably more widely used than the
repository itself, so why not create flows to pull and push content and
metadata from them?).  Of course we're an institution with some cycles to
put towards sustained custom development, so I realize that this is an
answer that reflects some privilege that not every institution has; for
some, just keeping a DSpace instance running is a resource strain, so I
acknowledge this isn't for everyone.

Best of luck,

-Mike