They won't be a security risk on April 8th, but the first time that MS
publishes security patches after that date for newer version, security
researchers will examine the patches.  Doing so will give them an idea
about how to exploit the problem the patch was for.  They will then try to
run the exploit on XP and see if it is vulnerable. Eventually they will
find an exploit that works against XP.

Even if you have a AV, people can exploit your machine without using a
virus.  Is that a risk you want to accept?

-Justin