Software Engineer
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh

We need a developer to help implement and maintain innovative virtual library
services, delivered to higher education institutions across the UK. This is an
excellent opportunity to join a talented and friendly group of software
engineers, helping to develop our services further and contribute to new
projects. We do object-oriented programming, keep our data in relational
databases and search servers, and use web frameworks to design our interfaces.
Most of us develop on Linux or Mac platforms, and our services are delivered
from a mix of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Enterprise Solaris servers.

You should be a graduate in a computing-related discipline, or have relevant
experience, with significant experience of web application development. Your
skills will include object-oriented programming in a language such as Java or
Perl.

Knowledge of web services or machine-to-machine interfaces (e.g. SRU, OAI-PMH,
REST), repository software (e.g. DSpace, Eprints), would be an advantage - but
most important is initiative along with good analysis and problem-solving
skills, so that you can react in an informed and creative way to problems and
new requirements.

Benefits of working at the University include flexible working, an excellent
pension, career prospects and generous holiday provision.

This post is on a fixed term basis for 2 years.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12891/