Curator of Digital Collections
Chemical Heritage Foundation
Philadelphia

The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) is actively recruiting for the newly
created position of Curator of Digital Collections. Founded
in 1982, CHF is a collections-based non-profit organization that preserves the
history and heritage of chemistry, chemical engineering, and related sciences
and technologies. The collections of rare books, archives,
images, fine art, museum artifacts, oral histories, and more, are used to
create a body of original scholarship that illuminates how we have come to
understand the nature of our material world and our interactions with matter
and materials. In bridging science with the humanities,
arts, and social sciences, CHF is committed to building a vibrant,
international community of scholars; creating a rich source of traditional and
emerging media; expanding the reach of our museum; and engaging the broader
society through inventive public events.

As part of CHF's strategic plan to build and sustain a digital collection, we
seek a dynamic individual to serve as the newly-created Curator of Digital
Collections. This important position in CHF's Othmer Library will be
responsible for the implementation and stewardship of CHF's organization-wide
digitization efforts, to work with CHF staff to expand the digital outreach of
the institution's collections, and develop an infrastructure that will
establish CHF's reputation as a center for digitization and digital
humanities.

The successful candidate will have an advanced degree and a record of
accomplishment in managing digital collections. He/she must have experience in
management and supervision, familiarity with application development and other
emerging technologies related to digital asset management, access, and
preservation. He/she should also ideally demonstrate a record of success in
collaboration with people from a variety of disciplines and professions.

The Curator of Digital Collections will report to the Director of CHF's Othmer
Library and, in coordination with the Director and other CHF staff, be
responsible for a strategy for developing CHF's digital collections. As he/she
will lead the implementation of a new digital asset management and
preservation system, we hope to attract an individual with the vision to
understand the strategic importance of a rich digital collection for a
cultural heritage institution and who will be given the wonderful opportunity
of shaping the future of digital initiatives at CHF.

The Curator of Digital Collections will:

Spearhead and oversee the creation of digital collections from CHF's holdings
which includes image, audio, and video files, and archival collections
(including born-digital materials).

Lead and provide oversight in the implementation of a new OAIS-model system to
ingest, manage, and preserve our digital collections.

Evaluate and recommend digitization procedures for a wide range of collection
materials relating to issues of format, productivity, preservation and CHF
standards.

Establish priorities and successfully manage multiple projects while
navigating cross-departmental workflows to ensure that CHF's locally-digitized
collections are integrated in the institution's overall collections and
services.

Identify emerging trends in digital collection creation and management, and to
model innovative solutions that meet the needs of users in the scholarly and
public outreach environments.

Effectively partner with CHF staff and fellows to ensure that CHF digital
collections properly represent all institutional collecting areas and support
outreach activities.

Represent CHF and the Othmer Library at professional conferences and meetings;
and maintain professional networks and collaborative relationships with other
libraries, archives, and museums.

Manage all special projects created to digitize CHF collections.

The ideal candidate will possess the following:

A Master's degree in history, information science, or related
field. (Ph. D. preferred)

A minimum of 3 years of progressive work and managerial experience with
digital collections in a library, archive or museum.

Demonstrated success in the development, preservation and management of
digital collections.

Possess working knowledge of software systems related to library digital
imaging, management, access, and preservation. Experience
with open-source systems such as Drupal, Fedora, Islandora, Hydra, Archivists'
Toolkit, ArchivesSpace, Archivematica and MetaArchive.
(Some technical proficiency with these systems is preferred.)

Experience with library, archive, and museum collection management systems,
such as Sierra and PastPerfect.

Demonstrated successful project management experience and ability to manage
multiple concurrent projects.

Excellent written and oral communication skills.

Flexibility to travel regionally/domestically approximately 5-10% of the time.

To be considered for this position, please send cover letter, resume and
salary expectations to:

- CHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer -

Founded in 1982, the Chemical Heritage Foundation has experienced phenomenal
growth and development in just 30 years. We are headquartered in a state-of-
the-art facility in the heart of beautiful Independence National Historical
Park in Philadelphia, PA. CHF enjoys the support of
scientists, technologists, entrepreneurs, corporations and charitable
foundations from around the world. To learn more about our
unique organization and our mission, visit our website at
www.chemheritage.org.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12994/