Hi all,

We’re looking to purchase a book scanner and I was hoping to get some recommendations from those who’ve had experience.

I found this fantastic thread from 2009:
http://bit.ly/1luEhMV

but it’s been five years so I thought a refresh could be useful.

Here’s our requirements, in a nutshell:

1. Allows us to efficiently digitize books that are potentially rare and fragile and cannot be unbound.

2. Gives us control of resulting file format, resolution, etc…

3. Can be connected to a standard desktop computer, preferably PC running Windows 7.

4. Does not require dumpster diving[1] or the use of carpentry tools (or any real skills, frankly) to bring to life.

Ideal features:

5. Can also scan flat, large format objects like small maps or posters.

6. Is relatively inexpensive (though we will pay $$ for the right setup).

7. Modular and easily upgradable.

8. Uses open source software...

Thanks!

Aaron

[1] http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-High-Speed-Book-Scanner-from-Trash-and-Cheap-C/

Aaron Rubinstein
University and Digital Archivist
Special Collections and University Archives
University of Massachusetts Amherst
154 Hicks Way
Amherst, MA 01002
413-545-7963