We are beginning a project using Omeka and Scripto to transcribe manuscripts. We ended up hosting it ourselves on a server we already owned, but before we knew for certain that we'd be able to, we considered a VPS from an outside hosting provider. If you decide to use a VPS, staying with the same host would make migrating the easiest and Dreamhost offers VPS hosting.

Good luck,
Christina

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of E L
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Omeka - - to host or not to host?

Hi all,

We've been using a hosted instance of Omeka for exhibits on Dreamhost.com for a few years, but are planning to ramp up its use and we're considering the possibility of hosting it on a server here at Smith or possibly shifting to a more flexible hosted version (as a non-profit, Dreamhost is giving us server space for free for Omeka, so we really can't complain - - but it's a shared server and we don't have root access/complete control - - which has been a slight problem for us with user permissions.)

What are other liberal arts schools doing for Omeka hosting, and how has it worked out for you?

Thanks for any info you can provide - -

Eric

--

Eric Loehr