Perfect, thanks. So using your URLs as a model I am now getting a .cpd file that shows the image locations in XML format if opened in a text editor. The problem before was that I was pulling them down with `~/utils/getfile/collection/alias/id/pointer/filename/name` as specified at http://www.contentdm.org/help6/custom/customize2ai.asp, which worked for downloading the .jpg files, but didn't work for the .cpd.

Thanks again,
Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] .cpd file format head scratcher

I haven't messed with this stuff for awhile so my knowledge is a bit rusty.
But the basic idea is that if you're messing with cpd files, what you need to do to extract the actual files is to find the object identifiers and then download them the same way you would a non compound object.

If the pointer is to another cpd file, actually getting to the images will require retrieving that cpd file, finding the object identifiers is critical. If you're getting an "invalid file" message, that's an indication from CONTENTdm that you didn't actually get the file you needed (i.e. the cpd file) and it just sent a short message that really means it didn't like the format of your request.

For example, our institution happens to have CDM. You can see one of the digitized books at
http://drl.ohsu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/hom/id/3031/rec/1

To pull the cpd file, the syntax
https://server16096.contentdm.oclc.org/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/hom&CISOPTR=3031pulls
what I need.

Inspection reveals the identifiers for the components so if I want the front cover, https://server16096.contentdm.oclc.org/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/hom&CISOPTR=2491&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=6000&DMHEIGHT=6000works
just fine. If you're wondering what the extraneous parameters are for, it's to keep the system from delivering a partial image. If your cpd files point to other cpd files, you'll have to traverse them to find the actual images.

I've experimented with several CDM systems in the past and have found that the syntax that works on one doesn't necessarily work on another so good luck

kyle