J. Willard Marriott Library

O: 801.585.7613<tel:801.585.7613>
F:  801.585.5549<tel:801.585.5549>

On Mar 25, 2014, at 11:52, "Jenny Jing" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hi, All:

Thank you very much for your replies! They are very helpful for us to choose our ticketing system.

Jenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cary Gordon
Sent: March-24-14 8:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] A ticketing system for internal troubleshooting purpose

I have used RT for trouble ticket systems. It fairly straightforward.

It's not Zendesk, but it is free.

Thanks,

Cary

On Mar 24, 2014, at 4:18 PM, Marc Chantreux <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

hello,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 03:43:57PM +0000, Jenny Jing wrote:
We are in the process of replacing our internal ticketing system. We
need it to be web-based, and staff can attach screenshots when they
report an issue, and we can run reports to get the usage statistics.

RT (http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/) is installed for years at
university of strasbourg and we're planning more usage of it.

it comes with a simple and yet rich web UI (with the ability for each
users to configure their homepage with results and graphs built with
graphical query builder). for automating, it comes with

* scripts that can be executed at every stage of the ticket lifecicle
* a simple text based rest API
* a way to comment, respond, command a ticket by mail

you can build associate content with extensions for SLA, KB, FAQ, ...

users can send us questions and we can keep track of what kind of
questions we get, who is working on it, etc.

you can reply (also sent to requestor) or comment (just for your eyes)
any ticket.

It could be an open source or commercial tool.

open source with a commercial support.

It supports really large scale (it's the resquest tracker for the CPAN
community).

Does anyone know of something which is good to use?

I don't know a lot of them but RT is from far the best i seen (for
users
*and* administrators).

Note that it follows unix philo: RT by itself is just a bug tracker
(but a very good one), everything else comes as extension or
intercommunication with other systems.

hth
--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique