As Roy suggests, Open Refine is designed for this type of work and could easily deal with the volume you are talking about here. It can cluster terms using a variety of algorithms and easily apply a set of standard transformations.

The screencasts and info at http://freeyourmetadata.org/cleanup/ might be a good starting point if you want to see what Refine can do

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting