Going in the other direction from cobol and fortran -Fair warning - Putting
on java evangelist hat- :) I wonder if it might be worth suggesting to the
authors that they change java into "JVM Languages" and cover off Java,
Scala, Groovy,...(others). We've had lots of success in the GoKB(
http://gokb.org/) and KB+(https://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/News/kbplus/)
Knowledge Base projects using groovy on grails - Essentially all the
pre-built libraries and enterprise gubbins of Java, but with a more
ruby-esq idiom making it much more readable / less verbose / more
expressive, and integrating nicely with all that existing enterprise
infrastructure to boot.

The use of embedded languages in JVMs (Including javascript) means that the
use of Domain Specific Languages are becoming more and more widespread
under JVMs, and this seems (To me) an area where there is some real
advantage to having practitioners with real coding skills - Maybe not the
hardcore systems development stuff but certainly ability to tune and
configure software. Expressing things like business rules in DSLs (EG How
to choose a supplier for an item, or how to deduplicate a title) gives
librarians an opportunity to tune the behaviour of systems dynamically
without system level changes.

Owen (Who's always lurking around here somewhere) wears a (technical)
librarians hat and often dives into KB+ and GoKB code base to give me an
idea of whats going wrong along with bug reports, sometimes with a fix
attached. I think this kind of collaboration, where systems librarians /
end user representatives are able to review and comment on code is
incredibly powerful and it's certainly served us well in our library
projects.

Just a thought :)

Cheers,
Ian.