I agree with this sentiment generally, but one needs to carefully consider and be willing to champion those "good reasons" because they are not uncommon. Especially for those in a leadership element, it i vital to look to the future. I've just come into what is largely a ColdFusion shop. I have enough ColdFusion in my background to work with what we have, but ColdFusion is becoming less common and I'm not sure how secure of a future it has. In addition, a lot of the database-driven stuff has been built using Access, which is quick and easy, but not what I would characterize as "stable". The rest has been built using a more conventional MySQL model. I'm essentially transitioning us over to a PHP environment, and at some point I want all of our databases to be either MySQL (which would be just fine for all of our web stuff) or another robust model (for data-heavy applications). In addition, I'm continuing some of what was done prior to my arrival in moving toward a CMS for the main web site. This will mean a lot of rebuilding and a lot of culture change, but it's a move away from something proprietary and unsustainable to common web technologies, which are not only more stable and sustainable, but put us in a place organizationally where it's easier to find and hire technical replacements. Respecting local practice only has meaning for as long as the local practice charts an effective course for the organization. There are plenty of folks who, because it easier, will happily continue with local standards until an organization is running systems that are so proprietary as to be useless.

Best regards,

Jason Bengtson, MLIS, MA
Head of Library Computing and Information Systems
Assistant Professor, Graduate College
Department of Health Sciences Library and Information Management
405-271-2285, opt. 5
405-271-3297 (fax)
http://library.ouhsc.edu
www.jasonbengtson.com

NOTICE:
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed email address. Thank You.