Aaron,

In JIRA and a few other systems, there is a "vote" feature. If used with an agile schema, it seems to me that you could use it to tally the number of times an unaddressed story might address a real instance of a user need. We do something else though.

We use different projects (in JIRA) to track different forms of contacts / needs for some of our projects that have high patron support / patron contacts. One queue is used to track support requests and feedbacks; these then spawn the creation of a new ticket in an engineering queue for work (stories, bug fixes, technical tasks) to be done by the dev team. If a new patron feedback comes in that is already represented by a story (or bug) in the dev queue, we link them. Dev tickets that link to multiple customer feedback tickets essentially have multiple "votes".

In addition to help weighting the stories, this approach also lets us 1) keep track of testing and acceptance criteria (i.e., did we actually address the original request from a patron), and 2.) contact patrons / issue submitters after we release a feature or bug fix, to let them know our most recent release addresses their issue (sometimes months or years after the fact).

HTH,

- Tom