Hi Andrea -- Good question! In a repository environment metadata records
of various types can persist past the withdrawal of the resource itself
(sort of like suppressed records for withdrawn items in an OPAC,
right?). The PREMIS record itself wouldn't have to be withdrawn, just
updated with a withdrawal / expungement action, ideally with an
explanation of why it was withdrawn.  (In Fedora, this would result in
an object with no attached resource objects but with one or more
metadata datastreams.)

There's actually an example of a PREMIS withdrawal event in the LC
PREMIS RDF ontology:
http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/premis.html#hasEventDetail

It's a non-actionable note, however, which may be problematic for
reporting / statistics.

It would be good to have some agreement about the best way to record
this kind of information in PREMIS, along with agreement about
desirability of doing this, e.g., to preserve the "forensic integrity"
of a trusted digital repository.

/Stephen